Nathan

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Daniel

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, September 11, 2006

Some Thoughts Five Years Later

I still cry when I think about it. There was a calendar for fallen police officers sitting on my desk at my new job. I had to put in a deep, dark drawer because I couldn't stand the sorrow.

I don't know anyone who was hurt or killed on September 11th. But, I know I will never view the world the same way. I will never have faith in my elected leaders to tell the truth when they've dropped the ball and try to figure out an actual solution.

I'm angry because we only discuss the victims of September 11th, and the thousands who have since died as a result, when our leaders are posturing and co-opting the tragedy. I'm angry because I'm told I'm unpatriotic because I don't support this war. I'm angry because I'm told as a liberal, I have "forgotten" those who died that day.

I know that I haven't forgotten, and will never forget, because every time I open that deep, dark drawer I weep.

No comments: