Nathan

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Daniel

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Love and Marriage

This weekend, The Targo and I will be attending a wedding in western Illinois. My cousin is marrying a beautiful girl he met at church a couple of years ago. He's a really great young man: sweet, funny, and an amazing cook. I haven't met her yet, but I've heard only very good things.

There's always a hitch with these family stories, isn't there? Well, my cousin is 19 and his fiancee is just 18. Now, I'm not necessarily opposed to getting married young (even though I don't know anyone that's worked out for). But I really feel there are a few things you should have before you get married.
  • One of you should have a job.
  • One of you should have a place to live, besides the bedroom you grew up in.

Am I crazy? Because honestly - What the hell do I know? I got married at 31 and it wasn't like I had a bajillion offers before that. I don't know about the girl, but my cousin isn't exactly overflowing with ambition. He doesn't have any career plans, he isn't in college, and he works part-time...somewhere.

The truth is that I wish these two the best. Unfortunately, in my head I have visions of the older, cautionary relative who always knows better. I want to take them by the shoulders and say "Beware! The odds are against you. You have to have a real plan."

He's my cousin. We share the same stubborn/dive-in-head's-first genes. And I adore him. So, The Targo and I will sit quietly in the church, watch them exchange vows, and pray that they're the exception and not the rule.