Nathan

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Daniel

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Wedding post .. Or, a jumbled mess















On Thursday, November 30th, I married the love of my life. It was a long time coming, longer than it should have been. Thank God it did come. Our parents were with us. Both The Targo and I come from married families. That's likely pretty rare for people our age. The Targo's brother and sister-in-law were there as well. (The tiniest of families.)

The Targo was waiting for me under the chuppah on the beach. The Caribbean Sea was right there.


I was barefooted; he was supposed to be. The civil ceremony was performed entirely in Spanish. I think I understood a word or two, but cried the whole time. I was thankful I didn't have to remember any words: I just had to say "I do."


It was 101 degrees that day. You couldn't tell, but for the sweatiness of The Targo's palms. I like to think they would have been sweating anyway. Truth be told, I don't remember much anyway.


Neither of us had cold feet or jitters. I think we both felt it was time. It was time to make a decision. It was time to firmly and formally commit to being a couple. It was time to complete each other.


As we said I do and signed the marriage license, the sun was setting and some clouds rolled in. It made pictures difficult, but helped with the heat. I do remember hearing some applause from the other people at the resort. For some reason, it completely charmed me.


After the ceremony, the Targo's 5 year old cousin ran up to me. He had caught one of the flowers that had escaped my bouquet. It was so cute and spontaneous. We then gathered together for champagne toasts of best wishes, congratulations and mazel tov. The reception was a quiet, family affair. We ate (too much), laughed, danced, and imbibed some more.


In the middle of dinner, those seemingly innocuous clouds opened up. The shower was brief, refreshing, and supposedly good luck.


I was hoping to have something poetic to say about this day, but I'm just not a poet. It was a beautiful ceremony with an amazing man and our parents. We're happy to have been able to share this with them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

congratulations!!!!

we even had the SAME flowers -- too funny.

I actually think what you wrote about it was very poetic :)