Nathan

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Daniel

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, December 14, 2007

Distorted

I had an appointment on Wednesday. It was one of those quickies - urine, weight, blood pressure, baby's heartbeat, and measuring my belly. My doctor was concerned because I'm nearly in my ninth month and I'm "measuring small."

As I'm a heavier woman, I think my perception of my weight is probably different than outsiders' perception of my weight. I was shocked when people didn't notice that I went from having a fairly manageable gut to "MY GOODNESS, YOU ARE LARGE!" But most people didn't. It never occurred to me until I had a medical professional say it, that I'm just not that large. Despite all of the taunts from my brothers or the occasional mean person, I'm really not.

So my doctor scheduled me for another ultrasound this morning. The timing was good because The Targo is off of work today. It was just another morning of amazement. We got to see the baby wiggle around, suck its thumb, and fight back when the ultrasound tech was pushing on my abdomen. Lots of fun stuff. And we learned that despite my distorted view of my body and the measurements taken at my last office visit, the baby is just fine and perfectly normal. He or she is just kicking back and all stretched out in my freakishly long torso.

10 comments:

Jamie said...

I think some women just measure small. I did throughout my entire pregnancy, and ultrasounds too showed that my daughter was growing just fine. (She was 7 pounds, so totally a healthy weight.) And I just didn't tend to "look pregnant" until the very very end also thanks to a long torso. I was about six months along until I even felt like I had a baby bump and not just bloat.

I'm glad to hear that your baby is growing well. It won't be long now!

Candy said...

So you just have lots more room for him/her to move around! I'm glad it went well. It's so easy to get yourself crazy about these things, and more often than not it's nothing to worry about.

Time's close now eh!

TSintheC said...

Yay for good news!

L Sass said...

I also have a freakishly long torso... does that mean I'll just

Christi Flores said...

I measured small too but mine was the baby's weight, not me. I seemed huge but really wasn't. I'm with you...it's all in your perception. I can't wait to see that little baby!!

Anonymous said...

Everyone carries differently, but I'm glad it's good news. How fun to get to see Peanut again! :)

Tara said...

I think every woman carries differently. I'm glad everything is good!

Kristabella said...

Whew, I'm glad everything is OK!

I can't believe how close you are! So exciting!

the lizness said...

I never got from your belly pictures that you were a heavier woman! :) seriously! you look fabulous. But then everyone is telling me I look small too, but I just tell them I'm every bit as pregnant as the next 5 1/2 month pregnant woman. lol!

Anonymous said...

As long as you and Peanut are healthy, it's totally all that matters!