Nathan

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Daniel

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, February 02, 2009

And We're Done

Some people have said "finally!" Others have said "I don't know how you did it so long." And a few have said "well, if you're not having problems, you should just continue."

What am I talking about? Breastfeeding. As of today, Nathan is/will be (please, God) weaned. The new 1-year old got approved for real milk on Friday. This is a huge life change, but there are a few things I'm looking forward to:
  • Not being ravenous 24-7
  • Cute bras
  • No more mean old man hands grabbing at my shirt ALL.THE.TIME.

While that's not an exhaustive list, it's pretty good.

I was never able to exclusively breastfeed Nathan. When he was really little, we just couldn't get it together. When we finally did, I went back to work. I was never able to pump enough to feed him while he was away from me. Since he started eating real food, I've been nursing him first thing in the morning and right before he went to bed at night. Our mornings will probably go a little smoother and our nights? Well, we'll just have to develop a new routine. Sometimes it's sad that he's growing up so quickly, but I realize that every stage seems to be more fun than the last. Please remind me of that when he's 13.

4 comments:

Becca said...

It can be a little sad, but I found that when we did our last morning feeding (about the same age as Nathan is now), I was more than ready. And so was he! He had bananas and whole grain waffles to devour!

AJU5's Mom said...

We are almost there - just the middle of the night feedings left. And hopefully those will be gone soon (as soon as she regularly only wakes at most once a night). It was sad getting rid of the other feedings, but it was also refreshing - I was a lot freer to go things!

Liz said...

It is a milestone! I applaud you making it to a year.

Shannon said...

I was so ready to wean Liam and I think he was ready too. But looking back, I feel a little sad. But I then remember the last night I nursed him when he was waking up every 30-45 minutes and my sadness fades. Liam didn't start sleeping good at night until we weaned. Now he sleeps with us but wakes up rarely and when he does he usually goes back to sleep fairly quickly.
I'm so glad you made it to one year nursing Nathan. That is something to be very proud of.