Nathan

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Daniel

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Sensitive Subject

Okay, for those of you who aren't breastfeeding, are grossed out about breastfeeding, or don't want to think about someone breastfeeding -- turn the channel. I'm sure there's an episode of Law & Order on somewhere.

So, Nathan has two teeth. They're mean, sharp, chompy little teeth. Until yesterday, he'd only grabbed my hand and shoved it into his mouth, biting with the little beaver teeth. Until yesterday.

Yesterday, he was happily nursing, giggled with a little glint in his eye, and bit me! Hard! My mother-in-law said that it's easier to teach breastfed babies "no!" because you have an automatic consequence. I don't know if I buy into that.

So, people, help a sistah out. What am I to do with Chompy McChomp?

7 comments:

AJU5's Mom said...

AJU5 did that a few times. When it really hurt, I took her away from nursing. There was one day I had to do that 3 or 4 times. Lately it hasn't been an issue. She finds other parts of me to bite if she is in the mood to bite (like my toes).

Unknown said...

OWWWW!!!! O_O Sorry, I have nothing more constructive to offer...just want you to know you have my sympathy and good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I have no advice or knowledge to impart, just sincere sympathy. Ouch!!

Shannon said...

My first instinct is to get that squirt bottle out that you use on the kitties, but that seems maybe a bit drastic. I think the only thing you can really do is remove the boob every time he does it. Or maybe there is a dentist out there who will "take care" of those chompers. I mean they are going to fall out eventually anyway. Again just kidding. I have felt your pain and it ain't good. Hope he loses interest soon.

Kristabella said...

OUCH!

This is why I will not breastfeed.

Leslie Gidden said...

You remove him off the breast immediately and say in your serious, stern mommy voice "No, no Nathan, no biting. That hurts mama." Set him down or off to the side somewhere safe (he will get mad) and he gets the point. Resume feeding after you have set him down away from you (does this make sense?) for however long you feel comfortable with. It takes repition and of course repetitive bites, but after he understands that the feeding ends with biting....the biting will end. I hope that made some kind of sense. In a nutshell: to bite gets you no milk and not being held or any attention....Big thing is to use the stern voice and those words...he will understand the fact that it is not ok. Good luck! Let me know if you need anything!

Warmly,
Leslie G.

Anonymous said...

I always screamed and scared the baby half out of their mind. That part was on accident - just reaction. Then I pulled them back and said, "NO!" and tapped their mouth (not hard). Usually by then the baby (I'm referring to both of mine when they went through that stage) would be crying at this point. I'd wait for them to stop and then latch them back on. It didn't take long for them to learn.