Nathan

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Daniel

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Deal Breaker?

When I had Nathan, I was in a cruise ship-like hospital. It had only been open for three months when he was born. Seriously, it had the new car smell to it.

I called my doctor yesterday, and the receptionist called me back several hours later. She asked me if I had registered at the hospital and which hospital I was planning to deliver at. I told her her and she paused for a few minutes. Then she said that the doctors aren't delivering there any more. They are only delivering at this one hospital close to our old apartment. The Targo and I have been to the hospital in both the labor/delivery ward and in the emergency room. The place is okay, old and a bit dingy, but my problem was with the nurses. Not one of the several we had seen spoke English well. The Targo and I were somewhat able to understand them, but they certainly were not able to understand us. I don't want to spend three days and nights in this hospital.

Is this a deal breaker? I'm not sure. I sort of feel like it is. It's just that I've had in my head that I was going to deliver at a certain hospital, with a state-of-the-art neonatal unit, and the best residents and doctors in the city. We've been to this hospital, had baby classes there, and spent the first three days with our son there.

I have an appointment on Monday and will hopefully get things straightened out. I'm really hoping that I don't have to change my practice, but I want to be comfortable.

2 comments:

AJU5's Mom said...

I am really surprised they didn't tell you about the hospital thing before. For me, the fact they didn't make it clear that they only deliver at a hospital (and not the one they delivered Nathan at) would make me question them.

We only have three hospitals in our town with L&D units. One isn't in our insurance, one is a university hospital, and one is the one we use. So, luckily it is pretty easy to know who delivers where. I don't know what I would do in a town with more hospitals...

Jen L. said...

I'm also surprised they didn't tell you about the change. Usually they give you the name(s) of the hospitals they use at your first neonatal appointment. I hope you can get things straight. It's very, very important for you to feel comfortable at the hospital where you deliver, especially with the nurses.