Nathan

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Daniel

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Doing Good Things

Growing up, my family was not wealthy. Not at all. I always felt like we had plenty of money, but I now realize that my parents didn't have much money and saved very little. They also spent much more than they should have. But, when the new school year rolled around, I always had a couple of new outfits, new shoes (for my ridiculously LARGE feet), and school supplies.

While The Targo and I live pretty frugally, Nathan has every thing that he needs. But as I watch him grow, it grieves me to know there are so many kids out there who aren't as lucky as he is. Is there something I can do? Yes! Orphan Outreach in Chicago has a yearly mission. They provide brand new backpacks and school supplies for children in need. Their goal this year is to reach 5,000 children. I remember how the truly poor children were treated in school, and I grew up in a working class community. I can only imagine what it must be like to be a poor child living in a depressed neighborhood on the fringe of wealth. Actually, I can't.

So, my family and I are contributing to this charity this summer. There may be similar programs in your area. If not, please consider contributing.


1 comment:

AJU5's Mom said...

I know Family Life Radio normally does Operation Backpack at the beginning of August. Each radio station decides where they will give the school supplies they receive. I have given before, and I plan on doing it again (once I hear about it).